The Metzger Law Group supports the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and the International Myeloma Foundation
Pest Controller Health and Safety Hazards
Health and safety hazards for pest controllers and fumigators include:
- Diseases and cancers from exposure to pesticides, herbicides, and other toxic chemicals.
- Irritation or allergic reaction from insect bites or stings, and plants.
- Snake bites or other poisonous bites from animals/wildlife.
- West Nile virus from mosquitoes.
- Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever from ticks.
- Histoplasmosis from bird droppings.
- Hantavirus from rodent droppings.
- Hazards from flammable or combustible materials.
- Working in awkward positions or carrying heavy equipment.
- Walking and standing for long periods of time.
- Lifting heavy or awkward objects.
- Repetitive manual operations.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures with risks of heat stress.
- Injuries from working with power tools and other vibrating machinery.
- Stress and increased risk of injury from extended work days.